Java history is interesting to know. The history of Java starts from Green Team.
For the green team members, it was an advance concept at that time. But, it was suited for internet programming. Later, Java technology as incorporated by Netscape.
Currently, Java is used in internet programming, mobile devices, games, e-business solutions etc.
1) James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
2) Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
3) Firstly, it was called "Greentalk" by James Gosling and file extension was .gt.
4) After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
5) Why Oak?
Oak is a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania etc.
6) In 1995, Oak was renamed as "Java" because it was already a trademark of Oak Technologies.
7) Why had they chosen java name for java language?
The team gathered to choose a new name. The suggested words were "dynamic", "revolutionary", "Silk", "jolt", "DNA" etc. They wanted something that reflected the essence of the technology: revolutionary, dynamic, lively, cool, unique, and easy to spell and fun to say.
According to James Gosling, "Java was one of the top choices along with Silk". Since Java was so unique, most of the team members preferred Java.
8) Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced
9) Notice that Java is just a name, not an acronym.
10) Originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995.
11) In 1995, Time magazine called Java one of the Ten Best Products of 1995.
12) JDK 1.0 released in(January 23, 1996).